Last night I dreamed that I got into a trendy club by name-dropping my cat, as in, “Uh, yeah, I’m a friend of Turtle?”
Like who hasn’t heard of Turtle, for real.
Backstory: a few weeks ago, I accepted an internship with the DC Center for LGBT Resources. My father found out, threatened to kick me out if I did it, and basically raged on and on for a while. My flight to DC is on May 24th, and I’m pretty sure my father was going to keep me from catching it.
Just now, he came into my room and yelled at my brother for playing Starcraft II on my Dell. (I’m typing this on an old Macbook.) Then he threatened to smash my laptop, to which I replied that it was my property. The Dell was given to me by my university as part of my scholarship, and it is considered their property for a year until I start my second year there.
Upon me informing him of this, he grew enraged, picked up my laptop, and smashed it on the bedpost. The frame is broken, it won’t close properly, etc…
My father has had a history of violence with me, one that I don’t want to go into yet. However, calling the cops isn’t an option, since he’s the sole supporter of my family, and my mother can’t support herself; I also have three siblings.
Anyway, I need to get out of here. I live in Huntsville, Alabama. If anyone has any ideas or can give me a place to stay until the 24th, that would be most helpful. Thank you so much for reading this.
Anyone in Alabama who can help out?
any of my followers from alabama?
just in case
- Forcing Women To Sleep In Their Own Menstrual Blood: In Arpaio’s jails, “female Latino LEP prisoners have been denied basic sanitary items. In some instances, female Latino LEP prisoners have been forced to remain with sheets or pants soiled from menstruation because of MCSO’s failure to ensure that detention officers provide language assistance in such circumstances.”
- Assaulting Pregnant Women: “[A]n MCSO officer stopped a Latina woman – a citizen of the United States and five months pregnant at the time – as she pulled into her driveway. After she exited her car, the officer then insisted that she sit on the hood of the car. When she refused, the officer grabbed her arms, pulled them behind her back, and slammed her, stomach first, into the vehicle three times. He then dragged her to the patrol car and shoved her into the backseat. He left her in the patrol car for approximately 30 minutes without air conditioning. The MCSO officer ultimately issued a citation for failure to provide identification.”
- Stalking Latino Women: “In another instance, during a crime suppression operation, two MCSO officers followed a Latina woman, a citizen of the United States, for a quarter of a mile to her home. The officers did not turn on their emergency lights, but insisted that the woman remain in her car when she attempted to exit the car and enter her home. The officers’ stated reasons for approaching the woman was a non-functioning license plate light. When the woman attempted to enter her home, the officers used force to take her to the ground, kneed her in the back, and handcuffed her. The woman was then taken to an MCSO substation, cited for ‘disorderly conduct,’ and returned home. The disorderly conduct citation was subsequently dismissed.”
- Criminalizing Being A Latino: “During raids, [Arpaio’s Criminal Enforcement Squad] typically seizes all Latinos present, whether they are listed on the warrant or not. For example, in one raid CES had a search warrant for 67 people, yet 109 people were detained. Fifty-nine people were arrested and 50 held for several hours before they were released. Those detained, but not on the warrant, were seized because they were Latino and present at the time of the raid. No legal justification existed for their detention.”
- 6. Ignoring Rape: Because of Arpaio’s obsessive focus on “low-level immigration offenses” his officers failed “to adequately respond to reports of sexual violence, including allegations of rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse of girls.” (note* I skipped #5 because ignoring rape is much more gross to me than their listed #5)
And that’s just a few of the many inhumane and disgusting crimes Joe Arpaio has committed against immigrants, and in some cases, U.S. citizens. Click here to read about his widespread use of racial slurs, racial profiling, random and unlawful detention of Latinos, among other atrocities Sheriff Joe Arpaio is responsible for.
translation: he can be re-elected based on his willingness to sexually degrade and humiliate men of color, specifically latinos.
this man is regularly on mainstream cable news. his name is a name known throughout the US. he is accepted as a legitimate part of the “conversation” around immigration by liberals and conservatives alike.
because he knows how to code switch. he knows how to disguise sexual violence against prisoners as “pink underwear.” he knows how to reposition the discussion around what liberal reformists want to hear—methodologies versus human rights. punishment versus injustice.
this is why i don’t appreciate people using “illegal alien” to describe human beings—but why eliminating “illegal alien” is not at the forefront of my “language use issues”—white supremacist code switching is infinitely more violent and systematic—and unfortunately, less interesting to ‘call out.’
- Me: ...did you fart just now?
- Mom: yes
- Me: in my FACE?
- Mom: no
- Me: NEAR my face?
- Mom: NO
- Me: like, five feet from my face with your butt in the air. come on.
- Mom: in the same room as your face. that's all.